The Real Dracula Tour – Shared – 11 hours
There is an Egyptian motto that goes like this: “Man fears time, but time fears the pyramids”. I think that in our case, we could easily say that “Man fears time, but time fears good legends,” Dracula’s legend being one of them and as Oscar Wilde said, it is probably the most beautiful novel of all time. Join us and find out the real story of Dracula in this only one day journey.
small group shared tour by car/minibus (never more than 16 persons!)
|Highlights of the trip||
The Old Princely Court from Targoviste, Curtea de Arges Monastery, the ruins of Poienari Fortress, Vidraru Dam
€79 for an adult, €39 for a child 7-12
|Discount for groups||
5% for 3 people, 8% for 4 or more people traveling together
|Additional benefits for online bookings||
10% discount at best restaurants in Bucharest including famous locations as Hard Rock Cafe, Caru cu bere, Hanu lui Manuc, Pescarus, 30% discount at Museum of Senses, 15% discount at Kitsch Museum.
aprox. 11 hours
in front of the Romanian Athenaeum (1-3 Franklin St., Sector 1, Bucharest, Revolution Square – in front of the little garden).
Transport by car/minibus, English speaking guide, Entrance fees
Lunch (around 50 lei per person) – there will be a stop on the way to eat together or separately
The Real Dracula Tour is a small group full day tour from Bucharest to Targoviste, Poienari Citadel and Curtea de Arges. The reason we call it “the real” Dracula is because we will visit the real places in Romania that have a connection with Vlad the Impaler – “the real” Dracula.
The first stop will be in Targoviste, the former capital of Wallachia under Vlad Tepes (Vlad the Impaler) to visit the former Princely Court and Chindia Tower, nowadays a symbol of the city.
Then, we go to Curtea de Arges to visit one of the most beautiful monasteries in South Romania. Beyond the impressive and unique architectural style, the monastery boasts an interesting legend about the builder of the church and all he had to do so he could, eventually, finish the work.
Poenari Citadel is the next visit for which you will have to climb 1480 steps for about 20-30 minutes on a trek of aprox 1 km. Prepare to admire a remarkable scenery over the mountains and the hear the tumultuous story of Vlad the Impaler, one of the most intriguing figures in our history.
Before getting back to Bucharest, you will stop at Vidraru Lake, an important construction from the communist period, placed next to the famous Transfagarasan Road, named by Top Gear as “the most beautiful road in the world”.
The tour ends after returning to Bucharest.
Hotel pick-up/drop-off (within Bucharest)
- The extra fee for hotel pick-up/drop-off is €20 for a standard car (1-3 persons), €30 for a minibus (4-8 persons) and €50 for a minibus (9-16 persons) and the pick-up time is 07:30 am. If you want to book this extra service, please contact us. It is payable to the guide at the start of the tour.
- The following hotels are located within walking distance from the departure point and there is no need for a hotel pick-up: Hilton Athenee Palace, Radisson Blu, Berthelot, Amzei, Novotel, Grand Hotel Continental, Ramada Majestic, Capitol, Capsa, Opera. Please note that the cost of taxi or Uber in Bucharest is not so high and it could be more convenient for you to take a taxi to the departure point. You can ask the reception of your hotel to order a taxi for you. Just tell the driver to take you to the Athenaeum (“Ateneu” in Romanian) in front of Hilton Hotel.
- For group discounts please give us a call in advance in order to receive the code discount; +40 735 525 710.
- If you make an online booking for a single traveler, the total amount will be blocked on your card and either charged if we can confirm the tour on your date or rejected if the tour cannot be confirmed for your date.
- This tour is not suitable for families with children under 7. We strongly recommend to book a private tour (with the same itinerary) in this case;
- Those who cannot climb the steps to reach Poienari Fortress, can wait for the group at the base of the hill.
Please note that the time table is subject to change due to heavy city traffic and road works.
TravelMaker, as the company which organizes the trip, is not responsible if the visited sites are closed without prior notice and for any reason at the moment you arrive.