Experience Bulgaria – Shared – 11 hours
Discover the most beautiful city of Bulgaria, Veliko Tarnovo, known also as the City of the Tsars. Located on the banks of the Yatra River, Veliko Tarnovo used to be the capital of the Second Bulgarian Empire.
small group shared tour by car/minibus (never more than 16 persons!)
89 Euro per adult, 45 Euro per child 7-11
|Discounts for online bookings||
5% for 2 persons, 8% for 3 persons, 10% for 4 persons or more
08:00 am. If you book hotel pick-up, the pick-up time is 07:30 am
around 11 hours
in front of the Romanian Athenaeum (1-3 Franklin St., Sector 1, Bucharest, Revolution Square – in front of the little garden)
Transport by car/minibus, English speaking travel assistant, Entrance fees
Lunch (around 40 leva per person) – there will be a stop on the way to eat together or separately
This is a small group full day tour from Bucharest to North Bulgaria.
After one hour driving from Bucharest you will cross the border to Bulgaria over Danube river, the second largest river in Europe and then stop at Ivanovo to visit Ivanovo Churches (UNESCO heritage since 1979). Located in the Valley of the Rusenski Lom River, the rock-hewn churches are famous thanks to their impressive XIII-XIVth century frescos.
The second stop will be in Veliko Tarnovo, one of the most beautiful cities in Bulgaria, located on the banks of Yantra River. Also known as the City of Tsars, Veliko boasts an impressive fortress with the ruins of the former Tsarevets Palace and the patriarchal church, nowdays with modern and intriguing paintings. The medieval atmosphere is well kept in the city thanks to the old architecture and the narrow streets where you can admire local craftsmen and their work.
There are plenty of good restaurants in Veliko Tarnovo and we will choose one to enjoy the tasty Bulgarian food together with one of their fine wines.
The Village of Arbanassi is the next place you will visit, being located very close to the city. Arbanassi is a quiet and picturesque village which even today keeps the medieval touch through the old architecture.
The tour ends after returning to Bucharest.
Ivanovo Churches, Bulgaria
Hotel pick-up/drop-off (within Bucharest)
- The extra fee for hotel pick-up & drop-off is 20 Euro for a standard car (1-3 persons), 30 Euro for a minibus (4-8 persons) and 50 Euro for a minibus (9-16 persons) and the pick-up time is 07:30 am. During the booking process you can choose this extra service.
- The following hotels are located within walking distance from the departure point and there is no need for a hotel pick-up: Hilton Athenee Palace, Radisson Blu, Berthelot, Amzei, Novotel, Grand Hotel Continental, Ramada Majestic, Capitol, Capsa, Opera.
Please note that the cost of taxi or Uber in Bucharest is not so high and it could be more convenient for you to take a taxi or Uber to the departure point. You can ask the reception of your hotel to order a taxi for you. Just tell the driver to take you to the Athenaeum (“Ateneu” in Romanian) in front of Hilton Hotel.
- At this moment, this tour can be booked online for minimum 2 people. If you are traveling alone, please contact us by telephone or email.
- This tour is not suitable for families with children under 7. We strongly recommend to book a private tour (with the same itinerary) in this case;
- This tour is not suitable for people with walking (stairs climbing) disabilities. We strongly recommend to book a private tour (with the same itinerary) in this case;
- Ivanovo churches are closed between the 1st of December and 31st of March. During this period, you will visit the Roman ruins from Nicopolis Ad Istrum or the Basarbovski Rock Monastery.
- By taking this tour, please remember that you are leaving Romania and entering Bulgaria. Please ensure that your Visa requirements are in order and it is essential that you carry your passport (or ID card for citizens of EU states).
TravelMaker is not responsible if the visited sites are closed without prior notice and for any reason at the moment you arrive.
Please note that the order of the visits during the trip can vary depending on the weather and traffic conditions as well as on the visiting program switch from summer to winter season.